Frequently Asked Questions
PandwaRF can be powered by several sources:
- internal battery
- USB port with an external power bank
- USB port, powered from smartphone using an USB OTG male-male cable (provided)
Yes, there is a ON/OFF power switch inside the case.
It depends on the usage.
- PandwaRF can last several weeks in idle mode.
- In TX or RX mode, the battery will last for approx. 10 hours.
As explained here, PandwaRF is not a SDR.
- A SDR sends I/Q samples directly (over USB) to the host. This allows the I/Q demodulation to be made by the SW running on the host.
- PandwaRF doesn’t send the I/Q samples to the host over USB. These I/Q samples are directly demodulated by the chipset and the demodulated data is then sent to the host.
The battery lasts about 10 hours and depending on the Marauder version, it can perform a maximum of 256 or 512 captures of 1-second duration each.
We don’t provide free samples.
Long time ago we provided one free to an Elf, but he was famous. If you are famous or an Elf, contact us. You will not get a free sample, but we will discuss about Orcs.
If you are a company in Europe and have a VAT number, please contact us to provide your billing information (including VAT number) and the VAT will not be charged.
Orders from unauthorized resellers are poor quality clones and do not benefit from technical support and bug fixes, and are not compatible with the PandwaRF Android application.
The connection from smartphone to PandwaRF uses Bluetooth 4.0 (LE), and theoretical range is up to 100m, but depends on radio conditions.
The range from remote control to PandwaRF is approx. 30m, but also depends on radio conditions.
No, our office is not open to the public. You can only buy online.
PandwaRF Rogue Pro has many auto-detection features:
- Auto frequency detection
- auto data rate measurement
- data rate computation from over-sampled data
- model searcher…
Well, we would love to say yes, but the truth is that you need to understand the basis, like modulation, data rate, sampling rate, deviation, RSSI, etc…
Hopefully, we have made the app as easy as possible.
The PandwaRF family is composed of several product versions:
- PandwaRF Bare: the cheapest version, no battery, no case. To experiment without big investment. €.
- PandwaRF: Fits in your pocket, battery, nice black case. For basic RF tasks. €€.
- PandwaRF Rogue Pro: Better at pentesting and brute forcing. Faster and more powerful. €€€.
- PandwaRF Rogue Gov: Faster. Home Alarm hacking feature. Not for the Dark Side. €€€€.
- PandwaRF Marauder: drop and forget. Capture and replay. Works without a Smartphone. €€€ to €€€€.
Before choosing a product version, you should think about what you are planning to use your PandwaRF for.
- If you are not sure or you just want to try it out, the PandwaRF is probably right for you.
- If you have a more specific purpose you should take a look at the Rogue Pro or the Marauder.
- If you are part of/working with LEA and you don’t have a vast RF knowledge, the Rogue Gov is probably the best choice.
More details here: https://pandwarf.com/news/which-pandwarf-variant-should-you-choose/
It can happen that your battery become weak, or dead. Don’t worry you can replace your battery easily with instructions.
PandwaRF is a tool. Like any tool, it can be used to do good or bad. We are not responsible for what you do with it. PandwaRF is made to assess the security of your own devices only.
Please raise a ticket for any technical issue. Contact us directly if you have a malfunctioning board.
Any technical issue can be handled through our GitHub issue tracking. You can also reach us by chat/email/forum.
PandwaRF application can only work on Android KitKat (API level 19 and higher). However, some phones have better Bluetooth than others. Please check the list of Android Tested Devices.
PandwaRF prefers working on OOK modulation, because it is the most common. However, supported modulation are ASK/OOK/MSK/2-FSK/GFSK.
Possible applications include:
- Receive keyfobs transmission (car, alarm, gate opener, …)
- Replay captured transmission from keyfobs
- Replay a modified captured transmission
- Transmit your own custom payload
- Capture RF data and transmit it on another frequency
- Brute force wireless devices (alarms, gate openers, ..)
- Spectrum Analyzer
- Find the frequency used by a RF device
- Reverse engineer unknown protocols
- Measure the data rate of a transmission
- Check the RF jam-resistance of your own devices
- Send captured data to a server for post-processing
- Develop your own Android application
We did our best to make sure that PandwaRF can be used by anybody, but basic RF knowledge (being familiar with terms like data rate, modulation etc) is recommended in order to fully enjoy all the features.
Yes, if the length is < 16bits. But it is not plug and play. You will have to configure PandwaRF with the correct settings (frequency, modulation, data rate, symbols etc).
We kindly remind you that brute forcing something that doesn’t belong to you is very very bad. Don’t do it. Seriously.
Some pieces are definitely open source (e.g. the #rfcat fork that we have made), and others will also be open source as they are important for developers in order to use PandwaRF
Other pieces are custom parts of our CTbee product, and cannot be disclosed without altering our relationship with existing CTbee customers.
But we will release everything needed for developers in order to use PandwaRF.
- Nordic Semiconductor nRF51822 Multiprotocol Bluetooth® low energy/2.4 GHz RF System on Chip with ARM® Cortex™-M0
- Texas Instruments CC1111 Low-Power SoC (System-on-Chip) with MCU, Memory, Sub-1 GHz RF Transceiver, and USB Controller
- Micro USB type B connection with full-speed USB 2.0 interface
- SPI memory
- Fuel Gauge
- 350mAh LiPo battery
- 4 buttons
- 3 LEDs
- preflashed with bootloaders
- Firmware: we provide binary firmware for both MCUs: Nordic nRF51822 & TI CC1111
- Software libraries: we provide Gollum Java Android libraries
- Reference application: we provide Android reference test application
PandwaRF can capture data from devices like:
- car keyfobs
- garage door opener keyfobs
- wireless plugs
- wireless chimes etc.
You can link with PandwaRF using an Android/iOS smartphone with a Bluetooth Smart feature.
In some cases, you will need a higher throughput than what BLE can offer, so you will have to use PandwaRF using its USB port.
You can connect PandwaRF to an Android Smartphone with an USB Host mode (the USB host mode is supported in Android 3.1 and higher) using a USB micro Male/Male cable.
You can also connect PandwaRF to a computer (Linux) and use #rfcat Python scripts or our native C stack to send/receive data.
Nordic or CC1111 are not planned to be open source. But we are working on “starter” code, like some basic BSP code to use the UART, GPIO, SPI, USB etc.
Yes, FW updates are completely free.
PandwaRF can be paired with a smartphone & used immediately after unboxing.
For PandwaRF and Rogue Family: no, this is not possible. Each product version is independent.
For Marauder, yes you can upgrade from one version to the other. Please check the Marauder version table for more information.
Bluetooth Smart (aka Bluetooth Low Energy – BLE) is not the same as Bluetooth.
Unfortunately PandwaRF cannot use normal Bluetooth.
We have added this message “The device does not have a Bluetooth feature” to indicate the lack of Bluetooth Smart HW support from your phone.
In doubt, please install System Info for Android or equivalent and check in System/Functionalities if you see android.hardware.bluetooth.le.
If you don’t, your phone doesn’t support Bluetooth Smart. Keep it preciously, it is a collector.
The PandwaRF uses a cloud connection to check for FW updates, provide anonymous statistic data about crashes, ANR etc. This is default Android/Google behaviour.
But you can still use your PandwaRF without being connected, it will work. However you won’t receive any FW update and will not be able to use the “Post data to API” feature (cf. github.com/ComThings/PandwaRF/wiki/Android-RX-Data-Post-Rest-API).
And we will not be able to spy on you and make money by selling your personal data to evil third parties. No, we are kidding.
No, it cannot be used with GNU radio, as PandwaRF is not a SDR and doesn’t send/receive IQ samples.
Please check the Requirements page in our wiki to see if your Android version is compatible with PandwaRF.
No. We developed one iOS app 2 years ago, but it was a bad move as the Android App evolves constantly and we cannot maintain 2 apps at the same time. But one day we will… Also we can’t afford spending more than 1000€ on a single phone 🙂
We normally ship once a week, so your order may be shipped between 1 day and 1 week after you made the payment.
We’ll mark your order as:
- completed: when it is ready and shipping has been scheduled with the delivery service
- fulfilled: when the order has been shipped
You’ll also receive an email with the tracking number once it has been shipped.
We only use express carriers like UPS or DHL.
If you prefer another shipping option like the postal service, please request it in the Notes for seller section when checking out and we will see what we can do 🙂
You can only replace items in your order with other items that have the same price. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll update your order.
You can’t, so please contact us and we will do it for you.
Please check the Product return information page in our wiki.
Occasionally we may request documents or more information in order to confirm your identity or address before shipping your order.
This is necessary for us to be covered in case of credit card fraud.
If you do not wish to provide the requested documents or information, you can also pay by bank transfer or purchase PandwaRF from one of our resellers (listed on our website) and soon on Amazon.